On this page you will find links to online text-to-speech (TTS) converters, in other words, web-based software that allows you to convert a Chinese text to a sound file. At times such software is called speech synthesizer. Most of the sites listed below are free, but have a limitation for the length of the text you can convert. All sites have a window where you can paste a text in Chinese language – one click of a mouse button and the site will read the text out loud for you. Sometimes the synthesized voice is very similar to human.
In which situations you may need a text-to-speech software while learning Chinese language? For example, you may want to learn to understand by ear a scientific information. Oftentimes such audio is not available in the Internet (or it is very hard to find). It is far more easier to find a Chinese scientific article of your domain of interest, copy the text in the TTS program and convert it to audio (some sites allow you to save audio file to your computer). This way you can practice your listening comprehension skills of Chinese texts that are relevant to you.
See also Chinese text-to-speech software.
If you want to suggest an online resource for learning Chinese, see the instructions here.
- www.acapela-group.com – Acapela - Text to Speech Demo - Free online Chinese text-to-speech service. Very high quality text-to-speech voices. Male and female voices are available. Maximum 300 characters.
- www.neospeech.com – Neospeech - Text to Speech Demo - Free online Chinese text-to-speech software. High quality text-to-speech voices. Maximum 200 characters. Male and female voices are available.
- translate.google.com – Google Translate - Free online Google translation service with built-in Chinese text-to-speech. Detects language automatically. Can read long texts in Chinese.
- www.linguatec.de – Linguatec - voice reader demo - free online text-to-speech tool for Chinese language. Average quality text-to-speech voices. Maximum 250 characters.
- text-to-speech.imtranslator.net – imTranslator.net - Free online text-to-speech tool for Chinese language. Decent quality text-to-speech voices. Maximum 1000 characters.