On this page you will find links to online English podcasts, English audio lessons and audiobooks. Most of the sites listed below allow you to download podcast files (mp3, wma, etc.) to your computer for free. Usually you can find English transcript for each audio clip.
Regular listening of English podcasts and audiobooks will help you learn basic English words and basic English phrases and will improve not only your listening, but also general communication skills in English language.
The difficulty level is indicated by color circles:
- for beginner/elementary level – ,
- for intermediate level – ,
- for advanced learners – .
English dialects are indicated by a corresponding little flag:
- – for American English,
- – for British English,
- – for Australian English,
- – for Canadian English.
If you want to suggest an online resource for learning English, see the instructions here.
- learnenglish.britishcouncil.org – English Podcasts for Improving Listening Skills. The site contains a lot of mp3 files on different subject, each audio file comes with a pdf-transcript.
- www.bbc.co.uk – General & Business English - BBC Learning English online. The site contains several programs to learn English: 6 Minute English, English at Work, Talking Business and others. All programs have audio (mp3) and English transcript. In the case of "6 Minute English" some rare words are marked bold and are compiled in a vocabulary list with their meanings explained.
- www.eslpod.com – English as a Second Language podcast with transcript. Audio files (mp3) can be downloaded to your computer. High audio quality.
- www.uh.edu – The Engines of Our Ingenuity - science texts with audio. Huge collection of different science texts with audio version.
- www.lynda.com – software training online-tutorials. A huge collection of training learning videos. Some lessons are free. English transcript. Mostly American English. If your domain of interest is computers, IT, design, photography, audio etc and you want to become fluent in English in this domain - this is THE site to visit and use.
- librivox.org – online library of English audiobooks in the public domain (free for download). The site contains a lot of audiobooks in English read by volunteers. All books are in the public domain (they are not protected by copyright). On the page for the given audiobook almost always you can find a link to the original text in English (most of the time it's Project Gutenberg - online library with thousands of free e-books).
- learnenglish.britishcouncil.org – British Council Learn English podcasts. Several podcasts for learning English. Some of them have English transcript.
- www.readbeyond.it – Audiobooks in English synchronized with text
- letsmasterenglish.com – Coach Shane's Podcasts. Let's Master English and Daily Easy English Expression Podcasts. Great podcasts aimed to expand vocabulary and improve pronunciation. Transcripts are available for some episodes (mainly Let's Master English episodes posted in 2014).
- www.abc.net.au – ABC Science Online - Science Podcasts. The site contains an enormous amount of audio files on different scientific subjects. Almost everything has a transcript.
- www.privateenglishlessonlondon.co.uk – English lesson podcast
- www.betteratenglish.com – English podcasts with transcript. All podcasts come with full transcript.
- www.bbc.co.uk – BBC radio programme 'In Touch' - listen and read transcript. The transcript in rtf-format can be downloaded from the "Related Links" section of each episode. British English.
- www.bbc.co.uk – BBC radio programme 'Case Notes' - English podcasts about science. The English transcript can be downloaded from "Related Links" section of each episode.
- www.bbc.co.uk – BBC radio programme 'Check Up' - English podcasts on medical topics. The English transcript can be downloaded from "Related Links" section of each episode.
- www.china232.com – English podcasts online
- www.hau.gr – English podcasts online. All podcasts have English transcript. Audio files (mp3) can be downloaded to your computer
- learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org – Short cartoon stories for children with English subtitles